Wednesday, January 27, 2016

#WIPWeds and a Little Something Extra

What I'm currently working on has no title as of yet but is coming along nicely. It is going to be a part of a new series I'm putting together and I'm really excited about.  Today... meet Landon Reed...spoiled rich kid turned lazy adult who has experienced a rude awakening...



Walter walked into the room and pulled up a chair so that he sat in front of me. I studied a knot in the wood floor like it had all that answers in my life. Anything so I could avoid the man studying me so intently.
“When are you going to get past this, Landon?”
“Past what? Being useless? Crippled?”
“Life is what we make of it, son. And right now, you are doing a good job of mucking yours up pretty badly. You lash out at everyone that tries to care for you, I haven’t seen a single visitor here since you got here and you barely leave this room.”
“You don’t get it do you, Walter?”
“Get what?”
“The old Landon is gone. All that’s left is—is this.” I waved at my useless self.
“Maybe it’s not so bad that the old Landon is gone. Maybe it’s time for a new and improved version.”
“So, what? You hated me before?”
Walter leaned back against the chair and crossed one leg over the other. “No, not at all. But you are capable of so much more than what you were doing.”
“And I can do so much now.”
“Well, now, that is up to you, isn’t it?”
“Walter—“
Walter held up a hand to stop me. “Hear me out, son. You’ve been dealt a lousy hand. The last year has been difficult. I won’t lie, Amelia and I were terrified you wouldn’t pull through. But you did and there has to be a good reason for it.”
“I wish I could see things the way you do, Walter, but I don’t. All I am now is a useless burden to everyone. To you. To Amelia. Fuck. Even my own father handed me off to a complete stranger.”
That’s what hurt the most. In the eleven and a half months since the accident, my father had only found time to visit me three times.
“He didn’t hand you off. He is trying to help in the only way he knows how and I think Evie was an excellent choice.”
“Excellent for what? All she does is scowl at me and act like a bitch.”
Walter laughed. “Have you paid attention to the way you talk to everyone? When was the last time you smiled at anyone?”
He had a point. I hadn’t made a habit of being likable lately.
“I’m sorry. I know I’ve been a real pain in the ass since I got here. It’s just—I don’t know.” I dropped my head into my hands and closed my eyes.
“We love you, Landon and we want to help you get through this. But you have to let us.”
“I went to physical therapy like you wanted.”
“Yes. And we’re proud of you but that was just the beginning of a very long, very difficult road to recovery. We’re here to help you. Evie is here to help you.”
“I don’t like her.”
“Quite the contrary, son. I think you like her a lot.”
“I thought home nurses were old and fat and ugly.” I lifted my head and looked at Walter who was grinning.
“You don’t like Evie because she isn’t fat or ugly?”



    *****************************************************************************
A little something extra- for a limited time only, you can pick up a copy of Undercover in Six Inch Stilettos, book one in the Secret Lives series for FREE! Right now, on Amazon. Get your copy Here.


No comments:

Post a Comment