Thursday, November 26, 2015

Big Time Win

I'm taking a step away today from the usual theme of this blog. It's obvious I love books and I am forever grateful for all the goodness that has come my way this past year in regards to reading, writing and everything in between. Today, though, I'd like to talk about something different.

When I started this journey years ago, I was scribbling pages on a legal pad while I sat in an empty lab watching a reactor spin. In those days I worked in chemical engineering research and although I am still proud of the projects I worked on, the truth is the days had potential to be very long and very uneventful. Often when I was running a "batch" of whatever my boss wanted to see, I would have to sit there and literally watch it for hours. Sometimes things could go bad and it was imperative that an eye be kept on the equipment at all times. And so my first story, a full length serial killer murder mystery was born. I'd scribble it on the notebook and type it up at home that night. That, my friends was fifteen years ago.

Over the years since I'd dabble in writing on occasion but it wasn't until about five years ago that the bug really hit. I couldn't get the words down fast enough. When I finally decided to think about getting published it was a frightening endeavor. A lot of work, a lot of rejection. And, the best part? A lot of support. Friends, family, you know who you are.

I could never have done it without the support.

For my husband and my kids, I know it hasn't always been easy. I spend a lot of time on the computer, trying to meet deadlines while cooking dinner or helping with homework. I've still got that pesky day job, so often I am having to choose between writing and whatever else needs doing. The men in my house, they take it all in stride and I love them for it.

In the last year and a half I have been blessed to meet many, many talented authors and bloggers and artists. It is a world like I'd never imagined. My two favorite books are written by two authors that are relatively unknown in the literary world but believe me, it won't stay that way. My eyes have opened to whole new subset of writers, the indie and small press writers that would absolutely blow you away if you knew what they were able to create with the written word. This is why I have begun my #FeatureFriday and Tuesday release posts. You NEED to know what is out there!

Then there is the undying support and love writers have for each other. There are people literally all over this world that I have not met that make an effort to share and promote not only my books but any book by any writer looking for their place on the shelves. It is an amazing, selfless business.

I have new friends and old friends to be thankful for this year. A supportive and loving family, a roof over my head, food to eat, clothes to wear and a working laptop. Even if I never make it to the big time, I have already won. Big Time.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. May the next year be full of blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment